The unmet need of this blog post is not having the time to go grocery shopping. My solution is "Groceries To Go" which is my idea of a grocery delivery service business. I discussed it in detail in my Elevator Pitch No. 1 and Idea Napkin No. 1 blogs. One segment I will be targeting for my business is the part-time to full-time working class. The three interviews below concentrate on that segment and their opinion and need (or lack thereof...we'll find out) of my business idea.
In my interview with Ryan, I discovered that he does have the need for a grocery delivery business. He works for the U.S. Navy full-time. He is very busy working long days among all the other regular aspects of life one needs to tend to. He has a lot of errands to do and he usually tries to get them all done on the weekend when he is off from work. These errands and chores include grocery shopping (of course), mowing the lawn, washing his truck, fixing things around the house if necessary, etc. It is a lot to get done in two days when also down time and fun time is necessary too. He said he would use a grocery delivery service because it would save him time and he could get something else done with the extra time he saved. Plus, he doesn't like dealing with the crowds at grocery stores which are much worse on weekends. The parking lot is full, the aisles are congested, and the check out lines are long. He would find this service very helpful. Something he did say that would need to be find tuned is the cost. Pricing would help him decide how often he would use it, if it would be worth it, etc. At the right price he would use it often.
https://soundcloud.com/user-752844123/buyer-behavior-interview-1/s-OAbyG
While talking to Mary, I discovered that she loved this idea. She does the majority of grocery shopping in her household and could definitely use the help. Again, if the price is right. She talked about set fees based on certain aspects of the order. She needs help with grocery shopping because she works and it is such a time consuming errand. It is a hassle. She said she would use this service every time (price reasonable).
https://soundcloud.com/user-752844123/buyer-behavior-interview-2/s-2Oaaa
While talking to Ron, I discovered that he only grocery shops about once every six weeks because his wife does the majority of the grocery shopping. The both work almost full-time and he gladly helps when asked. This shows to me that people just don't always have the time to do it for themselves every time and need the help, which is where my business would come into play! Ron had a great idea about pricing that I hadn't thought of. Instead of a fixed fee, he brought up the idea of percentages. Ron suggested a 15%-20% percentage fee of each order's total amount. For example, if the order is $100, 15%, or $15, would be reasonable. Ron had a lot of great ideas. He also said that a larger delivery time would be acceptable, so longer than two hours would be fine. He also brought up the idea of pre-set grocery lists that can be re-submitted for commonly ordered items. It was a great interview!
https://soundcloud.com/user-752844123/buyer-behavior-3/s-07VFH
In conclusion, I have learned that a grocery delivery service business would be in high demand for the working class. The number one reason working people would use it is in order to save time to do other errands and chores or for fun, leisurely time. They would also appreciate it to avoid the hassle of grocery shopping itself. Something that I do need to improve upon is the pricing. I need to gather more information about what would be reasonable and profitable, and integrate greater detail on my pricing plans. Overall, it seems like my idea would be useful!
Hi! It looks like the common denominator for this idea is the price range. For me personally, it would make the most sense to do a percentage of the actual cost. This way, you don't have to pay a large fee for a small order. However, people may try to abuse this and order a few items at a time. I suggest a minimum amount that needs to be spent before delivery is possible. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHey Angela, I think you did a great job figuring out buyer behavior. It sounds like you found some great people to interview that also share the need that you seem to have the answer for. It is interesting to hear from these tree people that by having someone pick up their groceries for them would lessen so much stress. Your idea seems to be taking hold and people seem interested in your venture. You also conducted yourself very well on your interviews and asked some great probing questions.
ReplyDeleteHi Angela,
ReplyDeleteI think it great that you found three very different people who all would love this option. That goes to show how successful this idea could be. I do agree with Ron that there should be a percentage fee instead of a fixed amount. There probably should also be a minimum limit for delivery. I really hope that this becomes successful.
Angela,
ReplyDeleteExcellent job with this post. It looks like you had great conversations and made progress to figuring out buyer behavior. It is apparent that you took your time and fully completed the assignment. I think a lot of people would benefit from this idea, especially single parents with tight schedules.
This sounds like a vey good idea! Not just for people who have no time to go grocery shopping, but for other who don't have the means of transportation. Many college student here in Gainesville ride scooters, and thus don't have the ability to shop in bulk. Rather they have to buy only the items that they can carry on the scooter. Nice job on the interviews! Check out my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Juan Parra
Hey Angela!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post with a lot of detail. I find it really interesting that you interviewed the working class for this assignment. When I first read about your idea, I thought this would be a home run for the college student segment, however I think the working/middle class has a lot of potential as well. The working class would also probably be willing to pay more as well for the service.
Good luck!
Angela,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy following up and reading more about your idea. After the first two interviews it became clear price was a major factor in how your concept would be constructed. I thought a percentage rate or ratio rate would be smart much like Ron brought up. Just as if I were tipping at a restaurant, the larger the bill the larger the tip should be. I think this service should be set up the same way. AS far as your target market I think you're spot on. Working middle class is the exact group I think you should be looking at for this vision.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete