Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Venture Concept No. 1

Opportunity:
The opportunity I have identified is busy people who do not have enough time to go grocery shopping for themselves. These people are very busy and short on time. They range from working moms to full time students that live on campus at a university. It can also be elders that are incapable of driving themselves to the grocery store. My customers are not people who enjoy grocery shopping and have plenty of time to do it, and are not people who cannot afford this luxury service. My customers are obviously adults, not children. Within these segments, the people can be located anywhere geographically because everyone needs to grocery shop. It is not limited by region. Something I hadn't thought of before, perhaps people located in the more extreme weather climates would use it just for that reason. People don't like going out if it's too hot or too cold. It's too uncomfortable either way. Demographically, it has to be people that make enough money to afford the service since it is a luxury service.

The world is so fast paced and busy in this modern society that it is hard to find time to get everything done that is demanded of you. Customers currently do not have this need satisfied. As it is now, they have to go grocery shopping for themselves. I think the opportunity is currently big as this idea has not really been tapped into successfully yet and I don't know anyone that has ever used a service like this. There is not a giant in the market yet. It has great potential to be tapped into right now and I believe it would take off exponentially.

Innovation:
My innovation is a grocery delivery service business. How it works is you order the groceries you need via our website or mobile app. You can search for and select the groceries you need as well as the quantity or you can simply just upload a picture of your grocery list and submit it to us (as easy as that). You can also create and save a grocery list of the items you need frequently and set up an automatic order placement for however often you need those items replenished. We deliver the groceries you requested right to your doorstep within a two hour time frame guaranteed. You pay with your credit card. It is a secure checkout. The fee is 12% of your order total amount with a minimum purchase of $45 required. A $3 delivery fee is automatically applied to every order.

Venture concept:
My business idea will solve the unmet need of my future customers out there by saving them time and hassle. It will be extremely convenient for them. With my service they can do other things with their valuable time such as spend quality time with their family and friends or do other less time-consuming errands. They can avoid the congestion of grocery store aisles and parking lots and they won't have to wait in those tedious and never ending checkout lines.

I think my target segments would absolutely use my service. There are no big name competitors yet. This business idea is new and unsaturated at this time.

Logistics, customer support, and location all play a big role in the success of my business:

  • Logistics are important because we need to get the right products to the right customer at the right time. 
  • Since we are a service business, customer support is extremely vital. We absolutely must have top notch customer service and resolve any problems that arise immediately so that the customer is not only left satisfied but happy. Good word of mouth is everything.
  • Location in urban areas is important so we can realistically deliver to the largest amount of people possible. 
I would need many employees in order to satisfy the different necessary jobs. I would need a team that processed orders, payments/accounting, pulled the orders off the shelves, makes sure groceries are always stocked and available, loaders, deliverers, and managers to oversee all of these operations. The more customers we obtained and the more we grow, the more employees we would need to satisfy their unmet needs.

My secret sauce is my persistence. I never give up even in the face of doors closing and it seeming like there is nowhere else to turn. I find a way to make it work. Always try plan a, b, and c. When those don't work, create new plans.

The next opportunity is having my service available for every American, not just for those in urban areas. Also, another next opportunity is a quicker delivery time. What if we could shorten the already short two hour delivery window time frame to an hour and a half or even within an hour. Finally, the last opportunity I can brainstorm is the delivery option of more items than just groceries, perhaps other non-grocery household products.

What's next for me is getting together an amazing innovative team and coming up with the specific final tactics and implementing them. Within the next 5-10 years, I would want "Groceries To Go" to become a common well known household name. I want the name to have integrity and value behind it. I want people to use the service and love it. I want to make a real connection with customers and genuinely make their lives a little bit easier with this service. I hope for it to be effective in saving them time and hassle. I hope my system is smooth, efficient, and works and my company is profitable. This venture helps to achieve my vision by following through with making something come to life that began as a mere sketch in my mind.


5 comments:

  1. I think you have a really great venture concept. I know first hand how difficult it is to go grocery shopping on your own, and then, living in an apartment building, have to lug the groceries up flights of stairs. This idea can also really help out the elderly who are unable to carry their groceries or unable to drive. It can also help out working parents who do not have time to go to the grocery store. I think you have a very wide market for this service and the way you decided to lay out your pricing is also a great strategy. I really like your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,
    Great layout for this assignment. Clean, neat and well organized. I know that many people struggle with getting through the grocery store and if they are up to speed with technology - this is a win for them!
    The only deterrent is the many seniors that could benefit the most from your concept that are technologically challenged!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    I enjoyed reading your venture concept post. Your post was very detailed and informative. The section you described on customer service and location I think is spot on. The customer service experience will definitely keep you customer base solid, and as for location I agree with you that if you begin in more urban and dense areas you can maximize revenue and customer growth early on to then hopefully transition to more rural areas also. Great post!

    Here is a link to my Venture Concept #1 post: http://ent3003blogger.blogspot.com/2016/07/venture-concept-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela,

    I think this is a great idea for the modern woman who likes to work and holds a busy life between that and their kids. They don't have time to spend hours a week in the grocery store and would definitely be taking advantage of this. I personally like the grocery store so it doesn't change much for me but I can definitely see the market that this is meant for. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Angela,

    I think that this idea is really well throughout and convenient service. I like that you have all the pricing and logistics of this venture written explicitly and esay to understand. I believe that this could be service I see people using, that's a big plus. I do see why this would be a luxury service, so maybe it won't be as popular because it is only to select people. But, that should not stop you from pursing this venture. Good job! Check my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/

    Regards,
    Juan Parra

    ReplyDelete