Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

My business idea: "Groceries To-Go"

1. Me. Not much has changed in this department. I am still a student and work part-time. My talents are being extremely organized and to do list oriented. I am also persistent and goal oriented. My life aspirations are to have a happy family and a successful career. If I were to start this business, it would play a huge role in my life. It would almost be all time consuming and take all of my effort. It would be a big operation and I would have to pioneer it until it was well-established enough for managers to take over. Even then, I would probably still oversee all operations and actions.

2. What am I offering to customers? 
Convenience and time savings! That is first and foremost what I am offering to customers with my service business. The unmet need of my customers would be not having enough time to run all of their errands, specifically grocery shopping, because it is the most time consuming one and it seems like you are always out of something. Plus, who wants to deal with the super congested and annoying grocery store parking lot, aisles, checkout lines, etc?? My company delivers the groceries my customers need directly to their front doorstep within a two hour time-frame, guaranteed. The fee is a small percentage of the order total amount and customers can pay securely through credit card via the website or mobile app, which is also where you select the groceries you need as well as the quantity or can simply upload a picture of your grocery list.

3. Who am I offering it to?
During the further development of my business, I have come to realize that the primary market I am trying to target is working moms of all ages, more likely in their thirties (with younger kids and well established enough to afford the service). What working moms all have in common is that they are stretched too thin and don't always have time to get everything done (read be superwoman). Between juggling kids, a husband, other family members, work, kid's sports, errands, chores, etc, etc, there just isn't always enough time and I'm sure that can be extremely stressful. That's why Groceries To-Go is here to help when it is much needed, or even when it is just desired as a luxury service.

I was lucky enough to get some really helpful feedback from my classmates. Although I believe that my service primarily focuses on working moms, my classmates said that it would also be beneficial for elders (which I mentioned) and college students (hadn't thought of that). I definitely want to pay attention to these aspects and market to them as well.

4. Why do they care?
My customers would care because it saves them time, stress, and hassle. They would pay for my service because it would allow them to do more valuable things with their time such as spend more time with their family and friends, do other errands/chores, or simply relax and enjoy themselves.

5. What are my core competencies?
What sets me apart from everyone else is that there is not anyone else that is big in this area. I can save people the fussy task of grocery shopping by doing it for them. My company also offers the option to upload your grocery list to the mobile app as well as a two hour delivery guarantee. These aspects make my business special.

I do believe that these five elements fit together well. They are all pretty in tune with one another and match up well. I don't see one that is specifically out-of-joint with the rest. The only thing at this point that I'd like to do is further research on the competition. Is there any? What is their business model? What is their service area? Pricing? Are they successful or failing?

Feedback memo:
Five main points that I took from the feedback I received are:

  • Description of how the service works, what are the details.
  • Clarification of the pricing/fees
  • Explanation of how to pay and if it's secure
  • Emphasize the hassle of congested grocery stores in order to relate to others
  • Market to elders and college students in addition to working moms
I incorporated all of these feedback aspects into my second idea napkin by discussing them individually and going into great detail on them, especially in element points #2 and #3.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,

    Good job on your second idea napkin. I really like how you incorporated the feedback from your peers to this assignment. I also agree that one should be aware of the other potential markets that your product can be useful for. I believe your app should be easy to use because if the elderly market would like to use your app, then it should be easy for them to use. Here is the link to my post: http://mynewbloggerblog10.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,

    I enjoyed reading your post Idea Napkin #2. You really emphasized the factors that received comments on from your first post to this one. That was a great job. Your grocery delivery idea I believe is a great idea but will be an uphill battle. There are a few of them currently going now plus the added competition from Amazon and Walmart now shipping non-perishable items. Below is a list of some companies that currently ship groceries for you to research.

    Shipt.com
    Jet.com
    Peapod.com
    Unloathe.com

    Link to my Idea Napkin #2 post: http://ent3003blogger.blogspot.com/2016/07/idea-napkin-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    I have a pretty clear idea of what your service is based off this last post. Like you mentioned towards the end, research should be done to see if there is a service like this already out there. If there is you should take a look at their business model and get an idea of how you can make yours different or better. I like the idea as a whole and think your target markets on perfect.

    Here is the link to my post.
    http://norrisufent.blogspot.com/2016/07/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete