Wednesday, May 11, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story

So far, the time in my life when I personally got the closest to experiencing true entrepreneurship was during my time as a Realtor at Coldwell Banker Vanguard Realty when I lived in Jacksonville, FL. Being a Realtor is a profession that has been around, I did not invent that, but what made me feel like an entrepreneur is that I had to build my own business from nothing as a Realtor. All I had to help me in the beginning was the association with a big company name like Coldwell Banker. The rest was up to me. I had to consider my own network/"niche" and think of creative ways to reach them and hopefully get their business and keep their business. I tried many things such as making a business Facebook page, ringing doorbells and hanging door hangers. I also decided that I wanted to try sending out mailers so I went around to the local businesses in the area that I wanted to reach and pitched the idea of them purchasing advertisement space on my mailers. That way, it would lower my costs, increase the chances that people would hold onto the mailers for not only my info but the coupon, and it would also benefit the business that advertised with me. After months of working hard without much return, I decided it would be helpful if I had a mentor so I asked one of the consistent top producers in the office to meet me for lunch at Panera. We did, the conversation went well, and later on that evening she called me and offered me the opportunity to join her real estate team which comprised of her and one other at that time. Things began to take off better from then on. They mentored me and gave me some great ideas, handed me some leads, and got me involved in the community. I got to ride along with them and do tasks for them, both helping me learn the business. Unfortunately, after a year of giving the real estate business a chance, circumstances moved me to Lakeland, FL. I got away from real estate and decided to not pick it back up again. I decided to pursue school again as I have always wanted my Bachelor's degree. Plus, I just recently (last July) finally figured out what I wanted to do with my life.. marketing.

I enrolled in ENT 3003 because it is part of the pathway to pursue marketing. It is required, but luckily it truly sounds very interesting and I think it is a necessity to have entrepreneurial skills in today's business world. I cannot be positive yet but I feel as if entrepreneurship is somewhat of a melting pot of everything business. Entrepreneurs need to know about marketing, management, finance, etc. During this class, I hope to learn about innovation and what it takes to start a business and grow it into a successful one.

Below is a panorama I took of Jacksonville Beach with the pier in the background. It was one of the many photos I posted on my business Facebook page to promote Jacksonville and its beauty.


5 comments:

  1. Angela, your entrepreneurship story is definitely an interesting one since as you comment, you had to build an entire network of connection which I consider it is like creating a new business. You had to create a strategy to find clients and I think that one of the most important steps in creating a new business or creating a network where client are going to trust you, is to organize and advertise yourself. Definitely your strategy sounded smart since you reached a lot of people and at the same time you lowered your costs. What impresses me is that you when even further and ask for a mentor, which it is always a great and smart idea to understand more the business and improve strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,

    Hello, I am your TA for this course. I will be reading and commenting on your blog frequently. I look forward to following your journey through this class. I really enjoyed your entrepreneurship story. Working as a realtor is something that is rewarding. I hope that you liked your time in Jacksonville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    I think that the best way to learn about what it takes to succeed in the business world is hands on just like you did. Now you know the value of marketing in that you will always have to "sell yourself" to people, whether that be in networking, selling a product, or getting new business for your firm. I think that it was really great of you to jump in head first and really grind it out, even if you got some bumps along the way the lesson learned can't be taught in school. Looking forward to more of your posts.

    Go Gators!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela,

    i think its really cool that the closest experience you've had to being an entrepreneur is your own. many people whose blogs i've read thus far have had an inspirational role model show them what it means to cultivate your own idea and make it grow. But you were able to establish your own network and grow your own business on your own terms. i think that's amazing. in pursuing marketing i think you can learn a lot from this class and i wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete