Economic trend opportunities:
"International trade will be critical for U.S. production and world growth"
a) I found this economic trend opportunity on forbes.com. Unfortunately, I am not as updated on these kind of things as I should be so I had to do a little pre-research.
b) I believe an opportunity exists here because it is very logical and numbers have proven this to be true in the past.
c) There are so many prototypical customers involved. It involves anyone that manufactures, distributes, or sells to those overseas, and vice versa. It affects America because we import as well as export. This includes the government and public and private companies.
d) I would say that this opportunity is relatively easy to exploit because it would be very beneficial to everyone involved.
I saw this opportunity because it just makes sense. International trade is good for our economy. It can help us save money and make money, and have access to items that may not have been accessible otherwise.
"Economists remained puzzled by a yearlong productivity slump and are looking at how new technologies might help spur innovation and productivity growth." This information specifically concentrated on robotics and how they are replacing human beings in factories, etc.
a) The Wall Street Journal
b) This opportunity exists because it is cheaper and more efficient for employers. It has expensive start up but pays off quickly over time. I'm not saying this is a good opportunity for workers because it's not, but it is a good opportunity as far as increasing productivity and decreasing costs.
c) The prototypical customer is the employers/companies that would be replacing human beings with robots.
d) This opportunity would probably be a more difficult one to exploit because it would cause a lot of upheaval among human workers, high upfront costs, and a technological learning curve.
I saw this opportunity because people are always looking for ways to save time and money (including myself), and this is a big one.
Regulatory changes opportunities:
Both of the regulatory changes opportunities I will be concentrating on have to do with the safety and health of our food market.
Organic livestock and poultry practices. There needs to be higher standards for the treatment and living conditions of these animals.
a) Regulations.gov
b) This opportunity exists because livestock and poultry are treated very cruel and it's really sad and wrong. Plus, it creates a dirty environment causing health problems within the animals and later on, unsanitary food.
c) The prototypical customer is the consumer of the food.
d) I think that this opportunity would be relatively easy to exploit because it has already been in the eyes of the public and can be addressed legally by the USDA.
I saw this opportunity because it touched me when I first learned about the problem and mistreatment of these animals. I have seen pictures and videos about it. They were shocking and terrible and hard to forget.
Proposed regulatory to register dicamba, a herbicide, to control weeds in cotton and soybean genetically engineered to tolerate dicamba.
a) EPA.gov
b) This opportunity exists because crops are being taken over by unwanted vegetation, aka weeds.
c) The prototypical customer is everyone. It affects farmers and anyone that is affected by the economy and eats food or wears cotton t-shirts.
d) This opportunity would be of medium difficulty to exploit. It's a fantastic idea and would be extremely helpful but there are so many people that are against herbicides and GE products.
I learned about this opportunity back in middle school. Herbicides and the GE controversy have been around for a while now. When I learned about both sides of the argument, I saw the opportunity. It has its pros and cons.
Hey Angela,
ReplyDeleteYour articles were very informative. For the first article dealing with international trade and U.S. production I though this was very important. The U.S has to invest more resources in domestic trading and production rather than seeking it from foreign nations. For the second article dealing with the possible take over of robots in the work place is interesting. This is already being implemented in various fields. One I can think of it toll booths that have replaced humans with electronic versions. The third article dealing with organic livestock/ poultry treatment is such an important and human regulation. I have seen documentaries showing the inhumane way some animals are treated and manipulated. GMO’s and inhumane practices has to stop. The last article on weed control was something I didn’t know was problem. The article was very informative and seems like is important as it effects everyone not just producers. If you want to check out my blog go to http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/2016/05/looking-for-opportunity.html
Hey Angela,
ReplyDeleteYou made a lot of very interesting points. I think it's pretty crazy how little people care about the regulation and control in the cattle market along with other major meat markets. It's weird when you think about how right now the whole country is up in arms over the killing of a gorilla in a zoo, but thousands and thousands of other animals are slaughtered every day. To be fair, that species of gorilla is almost extinct so it definitely is a little different, but it seems that not all animal lives are equal! Here is my blog: http://jaredpape.blogspot.com/