1. The number one “bug” in my life right now is that Adobe Flash Player does not work on my iPad. In my previous three accounting courses, it was impossible to do the online homework on Aplia, the software. I had to use my PC. I have also noticed that I am unable to view Dr. Lutz’s online marketing textbook chapters. It is very frustrating, especially since my PC has a virus right now.
I am not exactly sure why this bug exists. I do not know why Apple would choose to make an iPad like that or design it that way. I know Puffin and other similar apps are an alternative but it is just not the same. The experience is not as smooth.
2. A bug that currently applies to me since I am out of state right now visiting family is that airplanes usually never depart on time, at least in my experience with Allegiant airlines. They have to de-ice the planes, etc., etc.
I think this bug exists due to the cold weather conditions up North, making traveling more difficult. It could also be due to a late departure on the other end. Perhaps they were waiting on a traveler to check in for departure, who knows. Also, the airplane may need maintenance such as refueling or a check over.
3. Another bug with traveling is TripFlex that Allegiant offers. It allows you to reschedule or adjust your flight without paying a fee. However, if you book within a week of departure, TripFlex will not apply to your flight. Usually the last minute booked flights are the ones that are most likely to change. That is when you need TripFlex the most.
I think this bug exists because they figure that if you book within a week, chances are not much will change in that short amount of time. However, I am usually an early booker and if I am booking within a week it is usually some sort of weird scenario or emergency that could potentially change. I need TripFlex just as much then as any other time.
4. A bug that drives Northern drivers nuts is the roads. The roads in Indiana have so many potholes you might as well be off-roading.
This bug exists due to the cold weather. The roads expand and contract so much from season to season from extreme temperatures that they crack and potholes are created. It is possible that Indiana does not have a good road budget to fix them either, but I do not know that for sure.
5. Another bug is that you cannot open a Keurig to fully dry it out. Reports have suggested that mold can grow in Keurigs causing health issues.
I simply think this is a bug due to an overlooked design issue.
6. A bug I used to have with older PC’s is that they would overheat.
This is probably due to the fan not cooling them down properly and perhaps the hardware being more heavy duty in the older versions. Laptops are so much lighter nowadays. Maybe it is possible that they do not have to work as hard to run and stay cooler.
7. A bug on my old cell phone is that the GPS would sometimes glitch out and reroute me in circles.
This could be due to satellite maps that were not as developed in that area or maybe the OS was malfunctioning.
8. Something that really drives me nuts at work, is when the food takes forever to come out or when you are eating at a restaurant and that happens to yourself.
This is usually due to an understaffed or undertrained kitchen.
9. Another thing that bugs me at work is having to work doubles, 13 hours shifts without a break or a proper meal.
This, again, is due to being understaffed or either poor scheduling or sometimes even because other employees have requested off or called in.
10. Now I am on a roll ha… The worst thing about work is the amount of side work servers have to do. We have to roll two giant buckets worth of silverware after every shift at server wages (nothing).
This is because management is to cheap to actually hire people to do that at minimum wage. They get the most out of their employees for the cheapest amount.
11. A bug is chipping nail polish. I am yet to find an at home nail polish that is chip resistant like salon quality polishes.
Maybe it is too expensive for companies to provide nail polish with such high quality ingredients that it would not chip. It could also be unrealistic to have all the special tools and applications at home.
12. Bug spray not really keeping mosquitos away.
I still get bit while wearing bug spray. Maybe there are some breeds of the insect that are resistant to it.
13. Getting sunburn stripes from spray on sunscreen.
Have you ever had a zig zag tan line? I have from not rubbing in spray on sunscreen properly or it blowing away in the wind. It would be nice if there was a little better system, maybe a heavier duty spray that covered more ground.
14. Having to wear a retainer every night.
It would be great if the after effects of braces were more permanent and needed less maintenance. Shifting teeth is the root of this.
15. Glasses with scratches and dirty lenses.
Scratch and dirt resistant glasses would be wonderful, but it is difficult because they are made of glass. An alternative material would be better if possible.
16. Grown out hair roots.
I wish there was something quicker, easier, and less expensive than going to the salon to get hair color touched up. The processing time is why this takes so long. I wish there was a more permanent at home solution.
17. Payments that take days to process.
Have you ever transferred money to your credit card to make a payment on it and it takes 3-4 business days for it to process and show up on your statement? I have and it would be nice if it showed up immediately. I do not know why this takes so long, maybe the funds have to be released. This process needs to be streamlined.
18. Cash, needing it for certain transactions and not always having it on hand.
There needs to be an easier way to access cash, or even better, a different system altogether. I do not see our currency, cash, changing because its roots are too deep and that would be far too difficult of an adjustment.
19. Vehicles still requiring gasoline.
This is an obvious one. There needs to be a cleaner, easier to access, renewable alternative. I believe we still use gasoline due to big companies buying out new ideas to keep them quiet. Also, it is expensive to research and begin something new.
20. Last one! I am surprised phones do not charge more quickly yet.
We are still at the point where they have to sit on a charger for hours to get a full charge again. I would think by now there would be an immediate solution to a low or dead phone battery. These rechargeable batteries, although slow, are convenient because they do not have to be replaced. They are reusable. Maybe there is not a quicker solution yet because we have not found something more resourceful/less wasteful.
I did find twenty “bugs” difficult to come up with. I think that is because we are all so accustomed to things not always going right and just adapting to it and writing them off. During this exercise, I got the chance to actually think about what those things are, why they are like that, and what could be done to make them better or fix them altogether. The first five I was able to rattle off easily, but then slowed down on the sixth bug. I got stumbled multiple times throughout coming up with my bug list. It took several days to complete it
I completely agree with you on most of these bugs. My biggest bug in the entire world is the fact that no alternative to a battery has been made yet. They are very inefficient and are time consuming. Also coincidentally, I am waiting for a payment to process through my bank right now and I have been pretty bugged about waiting for it for so long to process.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you on most of these bugs. My biggest bug in the entire world is the fact that no alternative to a battery has been made yet. They are very inefficient and are time consuming. Also coincidentally, I am waiting for a payment to process through my bank right now and I have been pretty bugged about waiting for it for so long to process.
ReplyDeleteI agree with many of your bugs. You compiled a great list that you clearly put a lot of thought into. I think that we have all had the sunscreen problem:/
ReplyDeleteThe nail polish problem is definitely something that I have experienced as well. It is so frustrating to spend the time to do your nails and then they are trashed the next day! I have no experience with any thing northern! I am a complete Florida girl, but I definitely have had the bug spray issues. Florida bugs are beastly!
DeleteAngela,
ReplyDeleteI also found this assignment difficult. It's time consuming to think of so many bugs, and what causes them. I also tend to not think about the negative things in life, so I found it hard to think of so many. I agreed with your bugs, especially about flights not leaving on time. It's so frustrating! Great job on your list. Remember to follow all of the requirements for the assignments! This one required a picture. :)
Great list of bugs! As I read each of the items, I can really see the frustration they cause you. I picture you in the airport just getting more and more irritated as the bugs come to mind. I had a difficult time coming up with twenty bugs as well, and I believe you summed it up perfectly when you said we have become accustomed to adapting to any problem and writing it off. Hopefully this class will help us be on the lookout for things we can change.
ReplyDelete